STA Level 2 Award in Safe Moving and Handling
The Safe Moving and Handling qualification aims to provide an understanding of the basic principles of manual handling. This will enable learners to practice and apply safe moving and handling of objects within the workplace.
- Learners who successfully complete this qualification will be able to:
- Understand the reasons of safe manual handling
- Understand how manual handling risk assessments contribute to improving health and safety
- Understand the principles, types of equipment and testing requirements associated with manual handling safety
- Be able to apply safe manual principles
Safe Moving and Handling is designed for people who are involved in carrying out manual handling tasks in their workplace. This includes employees working in industrial and office based environments. It is an ideal introduction for those starting / returning to work involving manual handling activities, or as safety refresher training.
For those working in a care setting holders of this qualification can progress on to a people moving and handling course.
The qualification is based upon the National Occupational Standards (NOS) developed by the National Back Exchange Standards in Manual Handling Skills Sector Council (SSC), covering industry guidance EUSRA115 Manual handling and lifting of loads .
It also meets an employer’s ‘Duty of Care’ responsibilities under The Health & Safety at Work Act and Management of Health and Safety Regulations.