STA Level 2 Award in Swimming Teaching
Holders of the STA Level 2 Award in Swimming Teaching can teach up to 10 beginners. They may deliver the STAnley Series of awards, the Octopus and Goldfish Series of STA’s International Learn to Swim Programme and the ASA National Teaching Plan Levels 1-4.
Holders of the STA Level 2 Award in Swimming Teaching may also act as an assistant swimming teacher and may teach larger classes or advanced skills under the direct supervision of a swimming teacher qualified to certificate level.
- 16 years of age or older.
- Current membership of STA.
- Hold the STA Level 1 Award in Pool Emergency Procedures or acceptable equivalent.
- Hold either the STA Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults certificate (available online at www.trainsta.co.uk) or acceptable equivalent.
Validity of Award
This qualification does not expire.
To remain as an STA-approved swimming teacher, and to receive the benefit of STA public liability insurance, holders of this qualification are required to:
- Remain in membership of STA
- Keep their knowledge and skills up-to-date with regular CPDs
- Keep their pre-requisite lifesaving qualification in-date
- Regularly update their DBS check
Length of Course
Course Contact Hours: 28 Hours
Pre-Course Assignments: 15 Hours
On-Course Assignments: 9 Hours
Total Course Hours: 52 Hours
Units studied include:
- Understanding the elementary scientific principles relevant to swimming.
- Planning, preparing and teaching swimming.
- Understanding the principles for safe and equitable coaching practice.
Candidates must complete a portfolio and worksheet questions to the satisfaction of the course tutor as well as undertaking poolside teaching during the course.
There will also be an external assessment where candidate must:
- Teach a 10 minute lesson to 4 beginners.
- Teach a 10 minute lesson to 4 improvers.
- Complete a 30 question multiple choice paper with a unit pass mark of 7 out of 10 per unit.
Can’t find the course you’re looking for?
Send me the details of what you are looking firstname.lastname@example.org